Music Banter - View Single Post - We've got a major problem...
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #47 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
This is just it though, you're judging people by your own standards and behaviour patterns, you, I and most members on here know what's acceptable and what's not. A lot of people that could come onto the forum, have no desire to conform to what is acceptable and get a greater kick on how far they can push and get. There's people on here form all parts of the world with really only music and the English language to connect them. Apart from that they could be anybody which is both good and bad, the bad is that they have different behaviour patterns and different ways of expressing themselves, especially in a more difficult situations and this can sometimes lead to the problems that have been expressed in this post.
Yeah, but the moderation patterns haven't changed in years (Unless you count boobs going psycho). There used to be no problem with this. The way people are (As you put it, with only music and the english language to connect them) hasn't changed, the modding hasn't changed - what *has* changed to cause our current problem?

I think the answer is - longer term members started pushing their limits, and a variety of internal groups formed that changed the forum dynamic. The new members are being given the same short leash they always have been, so changing the way things are modded won't help.

I'm not honestly sure what would help, but what I am sure of is that it has to come from all of us as members, (including the mod team, they're members too), since just imposing rules isn't getting to the core of the issue - if we got incredibly in depth with new moderation rules and stuff, we'd triple the mod teams workload, and maybe we'd be able to treat the symptoms of the deeper problem - but we wouldn't be attacking the problem at the source, and that's no good.

That's not to say the mod team can't try and encourage this their own way, and maybe impose a couple new guidelines to help out, but they should be gentle guidelines aimed at levelling things out so we can focus on and fix the bigger issues. A drastic change isn't needed here - after all, what we want out of this isn't "change the way the forum works" or "Change who the members are" - we're just asking that new members (and old members) get to see a happier, less dramatic picture of the same thing we've always been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!