Music Banter - View Single Post - Vote for a FAIR album before August 14
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Default Vote for a FAIR album before August 14

Every two weeks the Folk And International Roots Album Club votes for an album that they will listen to and discuss in the coming weeks.
Anyone can vote in this poll, but if you vote, please follow through and be ready to discuss whichever album wins the poll.

We have seven nominations this week, and as Heliotrope and Milton Nascimento have both been featuring in our polls since April, I feel like it´s time to put them both on LAST CHANCE. So it´s now or never for the first two albums on the list here:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp View Post
I've been debating putting this one up for a while mainly because it is of more a classical bent but I figure you can't get much more international folk than medieval French troubadours.

Heliotrope - The Romance of the Rose (Feminine Voices from Medieval France) 1995

While the songs were sourced from 13th century texts the actual melodies on these recordings were kind of educated guesses as there was little musical notation from the period.

More info here: The Romance of the Rose
Quote:
Milton Nascimento - Clube de Esquina (1972)

Fifth album from Brazilian Milton Nascimento. Well technically it's a collective effort of "The Corner Club".

(Video features entire album apparently)
Quote:
Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares - Bulgarian State Radio & Television Female Vocal Choir (1975, Reissued 1986 on 4AD/ 1987 in US)

Bulgarian Womens' Choir featured on Fly, Fly My Sadness. Thought I would finally check out the original album compiled by ethnomusicologist Marcel Cellier.
Quote:
Doudou Ndiaye Rose - Djabote

While the purely percussive tracks on this album can be a little homogeneous the vocal tracks are rather wonderful.

Quote:
Ruhani Oyun Havalari (or Psyche Belly Dance) by BaBa Zula (2003)

A pretty relaxed album by a band from Istanbul which waters down the intensity of traditional belly dance music with echoey, laid-back electronica. Nothing ground-breaking by today´s standards, but an agreeable listen if you´re not a purist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspoptart View Post
I'd like to nominate Origa this week, with her album "Era of Queens".

She is a Russian singer who has worked extensively in Japan. I find her to be very relaxing and a bit spiritual. I'm not sure if she really qualifies as FAIR, because her songs do ten to be a bit electronic in nature, but she sings in various languages and does have a unique sound.

Here are a couple of my favorite tracks:

Enjoy!

Quote:
Dust Bowl Ballads by Woody Guthrie (1940)

Most of this album was recorded in one day in 1940, with just two tracks added on in a later session. Not only was this WG´s stunning debut as a songwriter, but it is also a candidate for the title, First Ever Concept Album.
OK, time to get voting guys !