Music Banter - View Single Post - When is the artist no longer really the artist?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
It reminds me of Primal Scream's Screamadelica album.
The number of people who made that album is incredible. I remember Bobby Gillespie saying that in one song they wants a bassline that would be the sort of thing Jah Wobble would do so they thought 'F*ck it, let's just get Jah Wobble in to do it' and they did.

A lot of critics at the time said is this a Primal Scream album produced by Andrew Weatherall or is it an Andrew Weatherall album as played by Primal Scream.

I guess what I would put it down to is that I suppose you need the original artist's vision of how it will turn out otherwise it would just come out sounding like some great big clusterf*ck.
And that's they key to it, you need a good artist to stop it from becoming one.
What if there's no singular vision or concept behind it though? To use Kanye West as the example again: from what I understand the creation of the songs on the album were committee decisions made by many of the people involved, not his singular vision. Can he still be considered the artist, simply by being the one who got everyone working together? If so, does that mean someone like Malcolm McLaren is worthy of solo credit for a band they got together?
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote