Music Banter - View Single Post - When is the artist no longer really the artist?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
What if there's no singular vision or concept behind it though? To use Kanye West as the example again: from what I understand the creation of the songs on the album were committee decisions made by many of the people involved, not his singular vision. Can he still be considered the artist, simply by being the one who got everyone working together? If so, does that mean someone like Malcolm McLaren is worthy of solo credit for a band they got together?
Interesting point, I guess it depends on the artist even if everything was done by committee, who put that committee together? who had the final say? were the people on it thinking what they would like or what they think he would like?
I think you would literally have to take every single album individually and look at all the different circumstances around it.

I find it interesting you bring up Malcolm McLaren because he had zero input into the Pistols song writing. I remember Lydon saying that his only idea was writing a song about Submission so they wrong a song about a submarine mission just to piss him off and after that he left them to it.

It's also interesting that Bernie Rhodes had a much bigger input into The Clash's songwriting yet he's forgotten about and it's always McLaren that gets bought up.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote