Music Banter - View Single Post - Beauty Life-Hacks
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #63 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
When I've asked my doctor about about vitamin supplements, she said I didn't need them, even if I'd gone for five days without being able to keep any food down. If your doctor recommends you get more of a vitamin, I assume they think you may have a deficiency or something and that their advice is good, but studies seem to indicate that if you're already of good health, you won't improve your health further by taking vitamin supplements. It is more likely to do harm than help you.

About pre-natal vitamin requirements, I have no idea!
I know that some vitamins can be dangerous if taken in excess, which is why people need to be careful if they are taking multiple supplements at once BUT I can't find that many studies on dangerous vitamins when taken in excess, apart from Vitamin E, A and C, which already have FDA precautions on vitamin bottles, its just that many people ignore them because they just assume that the more vitamins they take the better.

Generally, I tend to believe that vitamin intake follows a bell curve type effect, so you might have a deficiency, then an optimal level, then a toxic level. Which means vitamins are still beneficial to your health if taken at the right levels for your body's needs. So yeah, I guess if you're in 100% good health without any deficiencies you won't need to take any supplements. So your doctor said that YOU didn't need any vitamin supplements, but this might not ring true for other members of he population. In this day and age people aren't eating as healthy, exercising as much or getting outside as much so many individuals DO have deficiencies.