Music Banter - View Single Post - We've got a major problem...
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #149 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I'm perfectly prepared to offer an olive branch, as long as it doesn't get rammed up my ----! I don't like Ignoring (with a big I) anyone, and am quite happy to take Hermione/Sansa Stark/whatever off Ignore and try to engage more in topics with her BUT I won't be anyone's doormat. I don't like confrontation; I'm a quiet person by nature and just want peace in my life but you can only push me so far, and these things go both ways.

If my experiment works, great, but if I immediately, or quickly, begin getting snide comments, one-word answers, GIFs, memes or outright insults again then I'll expect one of two things to happen: 1) the behaviour should be and must be stamped down upon hard and without mercy. If I were insulting someone I would expect the same treatment, so it's not fair that certain people get more and more and more rope till they eventually hang themselves. I'm not saying ban on the first insult or whatever, but a warning should be issued, and if that warning is not heeded then a ban could follow.

My own personal experience with this particular member has been that I've felt like I was more or less fighting my own battle against her, while others --- mods --- let it go on and I don't know why. Maybe they thought it was funny, or not as serious as I felt it to be. Maybe they felt I deserved it, or had encouraged it in some way, and to be fair once or twice I had. But when someone completely out of the blue tells you to eff off when you weren't even communicating with them, I think that's where I have to draw the line. Oh yeah, option 2: I'll just put her back on Ignore.

I'm not asking anyone to take my side but if someone is being verbally bullied and the conversation is descending into insults, tirades and swearwords, then I think it's time for someone to take action. As I say, I'm prepared to make the first move, in this instance, but if my efforts fall on deaf ears I would appreciate some backup, or I'll just judge the thing as a failure and go back to the way I am now. I'm not asking for anyone to side WITH me AGAINST anyone, but I do feel that when a line is crossed then the mods should be swift to step in, particularly with someone who has had this problem before.

Like most people here, I don't want drama. If I want drama I'll watch TV. I just want to talk to people and discuss things, and if someone doesn't agree with me that's great: everyone has their opinion and I respect it, but they have to respect mine. If we can get to that point, then I think a lot of the fights and drama could be avoided.