Music Banter - View Single Post - We've got a major problem...
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #160 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
This thread is not for singling out individual members just because they might be guilty of perpetuating drama or trolling people or whatever. It's for ways on how to curb the drama in the Lounge and get more music discussion happening.
Possibly approached that badly but those members have already been mentioned; I wasn't the first to refer to her and saying "a certain member" would be pointless really, as everyone knows who I'm talking about. But I would argue that the problem isn't just with the lounge; some members will almost follow others around into any thread they're in and hassle them. What I simply suggested was faster reaction to insults being cast or personal attacks. There is definitely too much leeway allowed in some cases, virtually none in others, and I think this hurts the perception of the place. When you're faced with a rule that says "no personal attacks" and someone attacks you personally and gets away with it, and keeps getting away with it, that makes a mockery of the rules and definitely instigates a sort of one-rule-for-them-another-for-us mentality, whether it's intended or not. It's like that old thing, "oh it's just so-and-so, that's how he/she is" and people get away with something that nobody else would.

I remember once I said something I shouldn't have and next time I logged on I discovered I was banned. No warning, no nothing. Gone for I think two days. Deservedly so too, but that sort of punishment should be meted out regardless of who the member is. If it gets to a point where one member or a group of members can basically say what they like, while another gets kicked for either responding or making similar comments, it shows a sense of unfair treatment.

I just think the drama would be less if people knew they were playing with fire. Attack someone once, and you get warned, second time you're banned. That needs to happen across the board, not based on who a member is or isn't. And I think that's all very relevant to the discussion here; I'm not trying to blacken anyone's name or get back at anyone. My post merely said (in my typical longwinded way) that I was willing to let bygones be bygones, but not be walked on. That was all. I think a more zero-tolerance policy with personal attacks would show people the mods are serious about stamping this sort of thing out. Am I wrong? Is it wrong to say I'll try but I expect the other party to try too? Is this a bad example to give to others? I didn't think it was personally.

You know, you give people an inch they'll take a foot, and next thing you know you ain't got a leg to stand on!