Music Banter - View Single Post - Am I the Only Person Who Doesn't Use Ernie Ball Strings
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
Lord Larehip
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoioideae View Post
Oh sorry, I didn't realize you knew everything, but there definitely is more than 3 companies that manufacture guitar strings.
Name them, please.

Quote:
Also, from the various strings I've tried there definitely is a a difference in feel, durability, and sound.
There's different quality strings obviously. Otherwise all sets would cost the same. There's a difference between round wound and flat wound obviously. There's a difference in gauge obviously. But nevertheless, all these so-called different brands come from the same small set of companies.

Most strings are some form of D'Addario. Ernie Ball and GHS make strings for other companies and many of the facilities are now in China and Mexico. Unwound strings come from Sweden. Thomastiks are made in Austria. All this stuff about coatings on the strings sounds like a lot of bulls-hit to me. Sure when you put them on they sound bright and clean--ALL strings do when they are brand new out of the box.

When they get clunky, you can taken them off and soak them in rubbing alcohol and restore them quite significantly. That will work pretty much with any string. Some claims certain strings like elixirs last forever, s-hit, I've had cheap strings that lasted forever. I've had expensive strings that broke quickly and I had a set of nylons were one string snapped when I wasn't even playing the damned thing. I opened the case and there's a broken string. It doesn't matter. One set to another has different characteristics. The rest of it is your damned imagination.
Lord Larehip is offline   Reply With Quote