Music Banter - View Single Post - This rocks/sucks and this is why
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
There's a world of difference, but Collins is still there of course. He comes more to the fore in later albums even with Gabriel still around. As I'm sure you know, it's the likes of "Trespass", "Foxtrot", "Nursery cryme" and "The Lamb" you need to listen to. You may still hate Genesis --- the actual style of music didn't change that radically under Collins, at least at first --- but it would give you a different view of them than the somewhat poppy/mainstream outfit they ended up becoming.

Mind you, "And then there were three" I still regard as a great album, but then, I don't hate Collins, or at least I didn't till the debacle that was "Abacab" assaulted my ears....
I like Genesis from the first to last album, not that all are equal. I like Abacab, I don't think it was a total waste. I think it rocks, Tony Banks did some decent keyboard work on that album. We Can't Dance prob like the least fave and would rather list to From Genesis to Revelation and Calling All Stations than that one.

I don't think any one should hold out listening to early PG era Genesis because of Phil's later work in the band. Almost two different bands really - musically and lyrically. It's kinda like saying I don't listen to The Jam because of The Style Council.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote