Music Banter - View Single Post - My Sister has bad tastes...help!?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

You can't really be that critical of your sister. I mean, down to the food she eats? What has that to do with you? People have different tastes (literally) and my sister eats stuff I'd puke over (she loves Brussel Sprouts, ugh) but that doesn't mean she has bad tastes, just different ones. Personally I have no time for screamo or nu-metal, but I wouldnt' then say you have better or worse taste than your sister, though kudos for listening to classical. But as 216 said, she's 12! She's been on this Earth less than a quarter of the time I have, and by the way you don't mention what age you are? Everyone's tastes change over time. You can't expect your 12-year-old sister, unless she's very special, to be into what most people would call good or serious music.

Most 12-year olds are into Bieber and Swift et al; she's just being a kid. She has to work through what she wants to hear and at the moment she's probably only listening to what her friends listen to, or what's in the charts as she knows no better. In a year's time, she could join up here and there would be a wealth of music for her to learn about but as Chrysalis says, you can't force someone to listen to what you deem proper music.

She's a kid, man. Let her enjoy her childhood, and some day she'll hear something that blows her away and her whole musical landscape will change, then she'll forget about the teenybopper music she's listening to now. Right at the moment she probably isn't that bothered about what she listens to, later she probably will be as she makes more mature and knowledgeable (musically) friends.

As for her TV programmes, same answer. Let her watch what she wants to watch. She doesn't force you to watch them, does she? Everyone can't like everything you do, and the fact that they don't doesn't mean they have bad taste. What sort of TV do you watch?

You gotta cut her a break man and let her grow, find her own path and don't obsess so much over her tastes.