Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #497 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I'm thinking that this thread needs to be more user friendly not just to us few on here at the moment, but also for any newbies that come here. The problem is not the concept of the club but its execution. Firstly the review system we use is time consuming and should be revamped. How about we just listen to the suggested album and give it a mark out of ten and just a few lines that just take a few minutes to write, instead of the long drawn out process that we have at the moment. That way it becomes a burden to no-one and will be much more fun to use. Therefore we would go through a huge amount of albums a lot quicker.

If this method were used, we could even come up with the novel idea of listening to whole band discographies, or sections of it and hold debates about albums and bands that are quick, interactive and just take a few minutes to write about.
Completely agree with all of this. I think we've spent enough time with the current review system to determine whether or not its ultimately that effective...and I have to say I think we need to rethink it or seriously simplify the structure.

Personally, I think reviews should be structured in 3-4 paragraphs like so:

Paragraph 1: Your initial impressions of an album, singer, the songwriting, etc. If the album has any personal meaning to you, you'd talk about it here.

Paragraph 2: Analysis of album/songs. You can break it down song-by-song or just analyze it generally. This would include lyrical/thematic things you notice, production, interesting song features, etc.

Paragraph 3: Conclusion. What kind of impression did the album leave on you? Would you look into other albums by the same artist? How could the album have been improved, etc. etc.

And then, of course, your 1-10 rating.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote