Music Banter - View Single Post - Adopt a Newbie!
Thread: Adopt a Newbie!
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #2113 (permalink)
Dr_Rez
Registered Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I always feel for newbies here who ask for adoption, because there seems to be no clear strategy for this. Now I know it's largely up to the "mentor" but really, wtf are we supposed to do? I adopted at least three newbs, had a meaningful few PMs with one and the others just kind of wandered off when I wasn't looking. It's not good for them and it's not good for us when there are no guidelines to follow.

I see the thread was opened in 2007, and no doubt the OP is no longer around, so could we get some feedback as to what you think your duties should be as a mentor, or adopter? I get the feeling many newbs asking for or even achieving adoption here think they'll get a good deal and be shown around when the end result seems to be, well, nothing really.

Are there any rules, guidelines or responsibilities? If not, is anyone interested in creating some? I think the whole idea is great but its implementation is completely letting down the whole process. It's all right for us who probably think it's a bit of fun, but I don't doubt that there are people here who post in this thread genuinely expecting to be helped through their first few weeks or so of membership, and if they don't get that help and are more or less ignored after an initial "Yeah I'll take you", is it any wonder they're not staying around?

As I say, I'm as guilty as anyone of not taking care of my newbies, but I would like to try to put this right. Anyone agree, disagree, think I'm being my usual make-a-mountain-of-a-molehill self? Is this not an issue we need to tackle and think about, especially given the current "newbies arent staying around because we dont make them welcome" theme in the "We've got a problem" thread?
I have responded to noobs wanting adoption and then they never even responded back. Not sure if this threads still really going. Like you said I wish some guidelines were in place.
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote