Music Banter - View Single Post - Criticizing Music Taste
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #115 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

I think that this topic can really go both ways.

Ive engaged in discussions here where alot of people are made to look like their "close minded" when in reality they are simply stating their opinion. There is a big difference between expressing yourself in a respectful way versus criticizing someone in order to make them feel bad. I dont see anything wrong with maybe suggesting different artists and genres to someone who is obviously not exposed to a certain type of music. (I dont see how that is criticizing their music taste when you are giving suggestions that could possibly broaden their music library) I think the problem comes into play when a person's "character" is judged because of the type of music they listen to.

I guess in away the type of music we listen to is a small reflection of our personality/interests because that is all apart of what makes us who we are (which is why these music opinions/debates are taken so personally) but I think its silly to just allow that to be the only premise of how you judge someones character. Its silly to think negatively of someone just because they listen to a different style of music then you do.

I just think its important to be open minded when it comes to different music opinions. Everyone is not a "hater" or a music snob. Likewise if someone listens to Brittany Spears from time to time it doesnt necessarily mean they dont like The Who, Prince, etc People have their own taste and opinions on different things and if people were more open minded instead of on the defense they could learn alot from people who share different views from them.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote