Music Banter - View Single Post - We've got a major problem...
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #293 (permalink)
sopsych
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspoptart View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the encouragement. TH, you are also a talented writer, and I've seen you admit many times that you know your journals don't get as many comments as you'd like. I find your perseverance admirable! Keep on keepin' on!

Also, I think you and Plank's comments really respond to the point duga was originally making. I'm happy to go on providing content for MB without any validation, and I think others are, too. Yet others are here to read avidly and contribute only sometimes. duga, people get worked up about the little things on MB and in real life, and just because the bad sometimes drowns out the good content, it doesn't mean that we've got a major problem. It simply means that members' priorities are different.

If newbs don't stick around, it's not because they see the drama, get involved in it, and feel unwelcome... I bet it's because they didn't find a niche. And...I think that's okay.
I disagree. Sometimes it is related to the drama. I think new members who start threads (outside the Introductions section) are particularly likely to get mad and leave (I didn't get pissed about MB until I made some threads). Because this is duga's thread and he is a mod, I think he should do a statistical investigation of that, looking at 40 non-spamming members who joined in 2013 and tried to start music discussion. Not that all of those members were worth keeping around, but certainly proactive new members is what the site needs.