Music Banter - View Single Post - Kendrick Lamar on Big Sean's "Control" and Hip Hop Universe Goes Crazy
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
The Big Dog

See everyone on this forum harps on and on about "classics"
What makes an album a "classic", media telling you so? Time doesn't change anything. It just gives people an abhorrent illusion of nostalgia and a longing for the past. What you're in effect saying is an album can't reach "classic" status until it has aged to a certain point. But that is the weakest criteria I've ever heard for an upgrading in ones opinion of a subjective matter.
Biggie's albums are classics and GKMC, MBTDF, etc aren't because they're newer. That's just ridiculous.
As for Biggie and Pac's beef increasing their stature in pop culture, obviously that's true but it shouldn't affect the way we view their music. Madonna is a bigger icon in pop culture than Jay Reatard doesn't make her music better than his.

Are you honestly telling me Eminem would have had the same success if he weren't a gimmick rapper? His gimmick was that he was the white underdog in the black man's yard and if that weren't enough he had to run with the whole 'Slim Shady' shtick when the novelty of his colour started wearing off. After that came the worst of all Eminem stages in the self righteous 'my daughter this, my daughter that' stage. I just find Eminem repulsive and it insults me that people think he's one of the best.
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote