Music Banter - View Single Post - Kendrick Lamar on Big Sean's "Control" and Hip Hop Universe Goes Crazy
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
butthead aka 216
Account Disabled

Location: freely swimmin thru the waters of glory much like a majestic bald eagle soars thru the skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankycaaant View Post
See everyone on this forum harps on and on about "classics"
What makes an album a "classic", media telling you so? Time doesn't change anything. It just gives people an abhorrent illusion of nostalgia and a longing for the past. What you're in effect saying is an album can't reach "classic" status until it has aged to a certain point. But that is the weakest criteria I've ever heard for an upgrading in ones opinion of a subjective matter.
Biggie's albums are classics and GKMC, MBTDF, etc aren't because they're newer. That's just ridiculous.
As for Biggie and Pac's beef increasing their stature in pop culture, obviously that's true but it shouldn't affect the way we view their music. Madonna is a bigger icon in pop culture than Jay Reatard doesn't make her music better than his.

Are you honestly telling me Eminem would have had the same success if he weren't a gimmick rapper? His gimmick was that he was the white underdog in the black man's yard and if that weren't enough he had to run with the whole 'Slim Shady' shtick when the novelty of his colour started wearing off. After that came the worst of all Eminem stages in the self righteous 'my daughter this, my daughter that' stage. I just find Eminem repulsive and it insults me that people think he's one of the best.

i do get what you are saying about the criteria for classics. and though i dont think anyone can objectively define it, a big reason to consider something a classic would be something received incredibly well in mainstream circles and music critics as well as more underground circles. BUT a big part of a classic is....does it stand the test of TIME which i am saying kendrick doesnt have, at least not YET!

and like it or not, an artists place in pop culture is a pretty big deal. why is biggie so revered and he only put out two albums? 1) very talented, original voice. 2) near the top of the pop culture pyramid. 3) died young and tragically, never got a chance to go downhill. it isnt the fact he was a huge pop culture name, its the byproduct of that which is exposure to a broader audience.

dude for you to call eminem a gimmick rapper is just crazy. im an open minded person and understand ppls difference in taste but i CAN NOT and WILL NOT EVER be able to understand how a hip hop fan can truly believe eminem is as terrible as you are saying. its one thing to say a dude has a gimmick, but calling them a 'gimmick rapper' just has a more negative vibe to it. cause mostly everyone has some kind of gimmick but youre saying that is all eminem is, even though he has made drastically different albums.

ive never understood the argument that eminem being white was a huge advantage for him. a poor white guy trying to make it in basically an all black profession... do you think he was just some random guy that some marketing team scooped up and marketed to the masses?? his TALENT got him to where he is at
butthead aka 216 is offline   Reply With Quote