Music Banter - View Single Post - This rocks/sucks and this is why
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 05:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
misspoptart
gimme gimme

I mean, I have said it time and time again on this board and everywhere else I go, but I think Dave Matthews rocks. I know how much people hate him and I get your reasons why. Yeah, his songs often fall into a little-known genre I like to call "pussy college rock lite," but there are a couple points I think people are quick to overlook.

1. Lyrics.
If you think Dave's lyrics are "self-centered," "trying to hard," "preachy," or "cliché," you are entitled to that opinion and so what, fine. But if you listen and try to understand without prejudice or a pre-conceived notion that they suck, say, as if you were a small child just hearing and trying to make sense of it all...maybe you would see where I'm coming from. The way Dave describes stuff...every day events or historical events or people in general...is surreal and natural and genius all at the same time. Give him a chance. Maybe just read them without listening to the song. "Funny the Way it Is," "Dancing Nancies," "Spoon," and "#41" really evidence this point.

2. Uniqueness.
Dave is mad unique. I don't care if you think he's a retard or his personality irks you; if you look beyond that -- watch him live a few times, or listen to some interviews -- you will find a man who is almost limitless in enthusiasm and just says and does the oddest, quirkiest things. It's charming, but it also ROCKS. People are quick to assume that because some of the songs sound a bit wishy-washy he is just some attention-starved hippie tool. Dude, he's like 50, and he still has a twinkle in his eye and the energy of a 5-year old. I love him to death. There is no one like him and no way to compare him or his music style to anyone, really. You could watch this as proof, but I really think this point also speaks for itself. HIS STAGE PRESENCE!!! ...rocks.

I could go on about this for hours, but I just needed to get it out of my system!

Last edited by misspoptart; 08-16-2013 at 02:35 AM.
misspoptart is offline   Reply With Quote