Music Banter - View Single Post - World Cup 2014 thread
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Don't even get me started about Qatar 2022. The whole world can see that it just won't work whether it's held in the summer or the winter, why can't FIFA? Well, I guess that's kinda obvious really.

Russia was an odd choice for the world cup, but at least they actually have a footballing pedigree. Vladimir Beschastnyk, Lev Yashin, Oleg Salenko, Andrei Arshavin and Alexei Smertin - there, I just named 5 Russian players past or present off the top of my head in about 5 seconds. Without hitting wikipedia, I literally can't think of a single Qatari player.

England certainly didn't help, but the only games I remember being particularly exciting and memorable in South Africa were USA-Slovenia, Brazil-Netherlands and Germany-Uruguay. Compare that to the 2006 world cup alone when you had great, great matches like Germany-Italy, France-Italy, England-Sweden, Germany-Costa Rica, Netherlands-Portugal, USA-Italy and so many more genuinely memorable games. I was so looking forward to South Africa, as it turned out it was probably the biggest sporting letdown of my life.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote