Music Banter - View Single Post - R&B Album Swap
Thread: R&B Album Swap
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #67 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Janet deserves some type of review that was a stellar album

Review on Velvet Rope

This album really touched me personally because it has helped me through alot of my own issues and its very therapeutic

1. "Interlude: Twisted Elegance"
2. "Velvet Rope" (featuring Vanessa-Mae)--- The production is very cool and really reveals what the album is really about

3. "You"----- I love this song and the "WAR" sample. I love the lyrics and how the entire song is about herself although she is referring to herself as "you". She criticizes herself, encourages herself, hides from herself, and enlightens herself. I enjoyed it because at the end of the day the choices we make is ultimately in our hands at the end of the day. The dark instrumental and Janets dark singing really brings the song to life as well. I really enjoy the live performance of this.

4. "Got 'til It's Gone" (featuring Q-Tip and Joni Mitchell)---- Another good song with a sample that was used very well. I love the simplisticity of the lyrics because it doesnt overshadow the stellar production. I love the sensual way Janet sings the song and Q kills his rap verse. J Dilla put his foot in the production!

5. "Interlude: Speaker Phone"
6. "My Need" ------- I really love this song. It reminds me alot of Marvin Gayes "Your All I Need To Get By" during the chorus. I think it is one of the most underrated songs on the album
7. "Interlude: Fasten Your Seatbelts"
8. "Go Deep" ---- I love this song because its a nice fun summer tune to groove too. The music video is hilarious for this lol
9. "Free Xone"--- Lyrically this was very clever and creative. She discusses homophobia and the power of being free to be who you are. The production is very very stellar and mixes elements of funk, soul, electronic and R&B. Janet is almost rapping/spoken word on this song instead of singing.
10. "Interlude: Memory"
11. "Together Again"--- Great dance song
12. "Interlude: Online"
13. "Empty" ---- This song had stellar production that consisted of electronic, techno and r&b I think this is also a underrated gem on the song. Janet lyrics are deep and personal and she brings alot of emotion in the song
14. "Interlude: Full"
15. "What About"---- This song discusses spousal abuse and has alot of rock elements to it which I love. Janet is mad on this song and brings so much darkness and emotion to it
16. "Every Time" ---- I am not a huge fan of this song but I enjoyed Janets personal lyrics.
17. "Tonight's the Night" --- this song discusses bisexuality and Janet is singing to both her partners as they are making love. This is actually a Rod Stewart cover but she slightly changes some of the wording. I thought this song was okay
18. "I Get Lonely"--- I love how vunerable Janet was when she was singing this song. She put so much emotion into this song almost as if she was whining or crying.
19. "Rope Burn" - This is a very sexual song but it is very subdue and not so in your face. I think the lyrics are very creative and clever with how she expresses how she wants to make love to her partner.
20. "Anything" --- another sensual song by Janet. Her vocals are very seductive and sexy. Her lyrics are very sensual but not so in your face. It is a soul jam for you and that special someone
21. "Interlude: Sad"
22. "Special" (includes the hidden track "Can't Be Stopped", which starts at 3:42)---- Special is a great song with a great message which is what I mostly love about. It allows you to embrace the uniqueness of who you are and what makes you special. Cant Be Stopped also is a great song with a good message that gives you strength and motivation despite what others might think of you.

Overall, it was a great album and not only did we get to personally see and feel what Janet experienced and has gone through, we also can relate to these emotions and experiences with her.

Last edited by Soulflower; 08-14-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote