Music Banter - View Single Post - We've got a major problem...
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #294 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspoptart View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the encouragement. TH, you are also a talented writer, and I've seen you admit many times that you know your journals don't get as many comments as you'd like. I find your perseverance admirable! Keep on keepin' on!

Also, I think you and Plank's comments really respond to the point duga was originally making. I'm happy to go on providing content for MB without any validation, and I think others are, too. Yet others are here to read avidly and contribute only sometimes. duga, people get worked up about the little things on MB and in real life, and just because the bad sometimes drowns out the good content, it doesn't mean that we've got a major problem. It simply means that members' priorities are different.

If newbs don't stick around, it's not because they see the drama, get involved in it, and feel unwelcome... I bet it's because they didn't find a niche. And...I think that's okay.
I agree. I won't mentioned any names but I befriended a few new members in the shut box who were new we talked a bit (you know before they left the site) and it wasn't because of drama it was for their own personal reasons why they left. Even one of our staple members (i.e. GuitarBizarre) was frustrated at one point and felt like leaving (though I don't know for sure if it was because of the drama). I practically begged him not to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopsych View Post
I disagree. Sometimes it is related to the drama. I think new members who start threads (outside the Introductions section) are particularly likely to get mad and leave (I didn't get pissed about MB until I made some threads). Because this is duga's thread and he is a mod, I think he should do a statistical investigation of that, looking at 40 non-spamming members who joined in 2013 and tried to start music discussion.
Yes, I agree I would also like to see duga do some statistical analyses at the 40 non-spamming members of 2013 who tried to start music discussion to find out just what the heck happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopsych View Post
Not that all of those members were worth keeping around, but certainly proactive new members is what the site needs.
If new members have some skin issues I don't think you should be bringing it up that they use Proactive.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards