Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #364 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Can't disagree with that, if someone asks me which Thin Lizzy album they should check out I always say Bad Reputation.

About Brian Robertson, the reason he's not featured on the cover or didn't write any songs on the album isn't just because of his hand, they did actually fire him shortly before they went into the studio because of his alcoholism being a problem. Eventually he convinced them that he had it under control and they let him rejoin towards the end of the albums completion as a session / touring musician rather than a full band member (Which explains the cover) basically telling him 'Screw up again and you're gone for good'. Which he did during the tour so they got rid of him for good.
I didn't know those details and they certainly fill in the gaps. I'm surprised it was never mentioned on some of the album reviews and stuff I looked at, as it's quite a key fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Dude, it's Judas Priest. They have the diversity of a skinhead rally. You might as well tell a cactus to branch out. "Last Rose of Summer" just sounds like the seventies version of that really lame power ballad that was somewhere on every hair band's album back in the eighties. It's just...awful. I don't even like "Diamonds and Rust". I know it's supposed to be one of their classics, but it's just a snoozefest as far as I'm concerned. Of course, most of the album is still fantastic, but when I have to skip more than one track on an album, I start deducting points.
You have to remember, that you're retroactively applying what you know about Judas Priest decades later. Back then they were still not the world famous Judas Priest and metal monsters that they would become, they didn't even have a metal image. What they were doing in terms of diversity, was nothing out of the norm really for bands at that time. The decade uptil then had been dominated by prog rock bands and many a prog rock band had straddled the line between prog and heavy rock, and this equally worked in reverse for the heavy rock bands as well, so in retrospect what they were doing was nothing overly surprising back then.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 08-15-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote