Music Banter - View Single Post - How old were you...
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsy View Post
How young is too young? If a show is "all ages", what do you think the appropriate age is?

My 10 year old daughter has been to a show with me and she was, by far, the youngest there. I know this all depends on the venue. The show she accompanied me to, did have a bar, but it was outside the music hall and there was no drunkenness on display.

The announcements of these plans to family and others is sometimes met with a mild disdain. I see nothing wrong with it. I'm sure many of the 'disdainers' are imagining some type of rock arena concert and the fear of her being trampled.

What do you think?
I feel it's great that you are giving your daughter the experience of hearing music live. If a show is advertised as "all ages," I'd feel comfortable taking someone as young as 6 years old as long as she *wanted* to go, since I can always choose for us to leave if I feel it isn't safe (or it gets too late), and she can ask to leave if she isn't comfortable, too.

The Blind Pilot show you took your daughter to appears (from the video) to have been very mellow. I'd have felt completely comfortable taking my similarly aged child to that.

If, like you say, the venue were likely to end up being physically dangerous (due to drunken revelry, smoking, etc.), then of course I wouldn't want to take a child there out of concern that she might get hurt and because I wouldn't want her inhaling any smoke. I wouldn't want to take myself there, either!

I was 17/18 at my first concert: Frankie Goes To Hollywood followed by Duran Duran. Fun show, outdoors, no smoke.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote