Music Banter - View Single Post - How old were you...
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #28 (permalink)
FRED HALE SR.
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Fi View Post
August 6, 1967. I was 5 and with my parents in Montreal, Canada, attending Expo '67. We saw a free, outdoor, afternoon show featuring Jefferson Airplane (I was familiar with them, as they were getting a lot of radio airplay with "White Rabbit" and "Somebody to Love") and an opening act I hadn't heard of called "The Grateful Dead."

The first show I saw without adult supervision, was David Bowie at Boston Garden in Boston, MA on May 6, 1978.
As soon as I sat in my seat, the person sitting to my right handed me a lit joint and told me to take a toke and pass it on down the line. My buddy and me had people handing us lit joints left and right all through the show. There were so many people smoking weed, there was a marijuana haze throughout the arena. To this day (and many hundreds of shows later) it's the most pot smoking I've ever seen occur at a concert.
Some of the songs from the show, wound up being included on Bowie's "Stage" album, released later that year.
Recently, I found and downloaded a good quality audience recording of the entire show.

I've searched for a recording of the Grateful Dead/Jefferson Airplane show, but it appears there was no recording made of that performance, either by Owsley (the LSD chemist and soundman for The Grateful Dead, who recorded most of their performances while he was with the band) or any member of the audience.
I'm hoping a recording of that concert will surface someday.
Not sure if you can find the show on this link, but Deadheads are usually pretty good about passing recordings back and forth. I searched many moons for a Nassau Coliseum show with Branford Marsalis and eventually came up it.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...yzVuGXDBU-BsBQ

Pretty cool poster for the show also with the Terrapin.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote