Music Banter - View Single Post - 50 Indie/Alternative Albums You Should Listen To
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #91 (permalink)
Zer0

Tiger Trap - Tiger Trap (1993)

This is the one and only album the band released during their short two-year existence. For a band of four girls barely out of high school they managed to make a stunning debut album which flies by in exactly half an hour without a second wasted. It’s a warm, funny and cheerful record which gives a glimpse into life and relationships through the eyes of a shy and awkward teenager. There’s a sense of innocence from these songs that seems so genuine and hard to find elsewhere, coupled with a youthful energy and a great sense of melody. There’s an almost punk-like energy to this album despite it sounding so innocent, with most songs flying by under the two and a half minute mark and the short running time of the album. The youthful rush of songs like ‘Puzzle Pieces’, ‘Words and Smiles’, ‘For Sure’ and ‘Supreme Nothing’ are a joy to behold and are packed with great little guitar melodies and hooks galore. Even despite how youthful this album sounds, Rose Melberg’s lyrics have a mature and intelligent quality to them with a sense of heartbreak and longing shining through on especially on ‘Chester’ and ‘My Broken Heart’.

The production on this album gives it an almost live feel, with crunchy guitars and drums which don’t sound like they have the life processed out of them, yet despite this their musicianship sounds remarkably tight. While the band did release an EP after this album it’s a real shame that they didn’t record a full-length follow-up. But Rose Melberg kept herself busy over the years with the bands The Softies and Go Sailor. This album makes for a fantastic summer soundtrack, serves as the perfect introduction to twee pop and is so sweet and adorable it shits kittens.

Recommended Songs: ‘Puzzle Pieces’, ‘Words and Smiles’, ‘Supreme Nothing’

Yo La Tengo - Painful (1993)

Really you should listen to every Yo La Tengo album because for a band who have been on the go for nearly thirty years they have a back catalogue that artists could only dream of. If you were to ask me which album is my favourite it would be a toss up between I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One and this. I decided to review this album because I just felt like it needed some more love and attention, hugs and kisses and all that. This album is Yo La Tengo arriving at the peak of their 90’s indie rock glory and along with 1997’s I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One this is one of their definitive records. Everything you could love about Yo La Tengo is represented here such as the noisy, straight-ahead indie rock of ‘From a Motel 6’ and ‘Double Dare’, the quiet and reflective beauty of ‘Nowhere Near, ‘A Worrying Thing’ and ‘The Whole of the Law’, and the more experimental sonics of ‘Sudden Organ’ and ‘I Was The Fool Beside You For Too Long’. Quite interestingly there are two versions of ‘Big Day Coming’; the soft, church-like version which opens the album and the noisier juggernaut which comes second from the end. Not too many artists try to pull off a feat like this but Yo La Tengo nail it perfectly and it gives the album the feeling of coming full circle as it progresses.

But if there’s one moment which cements this as one of my Yo La Tengo albums of choice it’s the epic instrumental closing track ‘I Heard You Looking’. In fact I’ll straight up say that this is the greatest thing the band ever recorded. I simply cannot put into one sentence how this track makes me feel but it gives me goosebumps no matter how many times I listen to it. It's slow-burning albums like these which make Yo La Tengo such a rewarding band to listen to. Time and time again you can revisit and get lost in their albums and come away with something new each time. I guess Painful wouldn't be a bad place to start exploring.

Recommended Songs: ‘Big Day Coming’ (quiet version), ‘From a Motel 6’, ‘I Heard You Looking’

FIN