Music Banter - View Single Post - Differentiating between Baroque and Romantic Music
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Michael Adam Serrano
Groupie

A Pretty Subjective Topic-

There are vast similarities and differences between Baroque and Romantic music. So the discussion can get hairy. I'm not sure we can sum it up in a sentence or two, which is why there are eons of scholars like Christoph Wolf at Harvard writing bibles on the matter.

- I think the biggest difference, would be the influence of the more "balanced and symmetrical" classical music period, whether appreciated or not. Note that I used quotes, and also note that baroque composers were not yet influenced by the classical era. Power-house composers like Brahms had a great appreciation for the symmetrical quality of the classical era and you can see it throughout almost all of his work in comparison to other romantic composers.

* Also, many argue that romantic music is more smoothly interconnected, especially as ideas like "legato" are more emphasized than before (particularly, between movements of the same work), which could also be an influence from classical music and variation.

* Flourishing or embellishment is prevalent in both eras, in their own ways, especially since a lot of research points to the use of vibrato in Romantic music. The Baroque era is the very example of embellishment which we stereotype in any early music.

* It's really a level of evolution, as the Baroque era was also very passionate, but music evolves as society changes.

* I don't think my answer encompasses everything, as what previous people mention about more romantic music being secular, or the rhythmic baroque qualities, the different instrumentation, and tuning systems also show clear differences.

I hope this helps! Cheers!