Music Banter - View Single Post - We've got a major problem...
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #405 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Smeenus View Post
A question I've been wanting to ask since the day I joined here. As a former mod of a vBulletin forum, I've been curious why the vBulletin "thank this poster" feature isn't used here...
Possibly the feature wasn't implemented in this version of vbulletin. It may date back to 2003 for all I know

edit :

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Yes. It will turn into what the shoutbox shout counts did - One person making it their mission to get the highest number and a mad rush from a few people to compete for that until one clear winner emerges and lords that over everyone else.

Karma systems on forums do NOT encourage anything other than vain competition for internet points - They never have, and I remember having this same discussion with people as far back as 2006 on other forums - The consensus was pretty clear. They're a bad idea.
But people would only +1 a post if they thought it was good, right? So if someone does a mad rush to get the most points, wouldn't that be a mad rush to make posts that other people like and thus reward with a +1?

It is certainly sounds better to me than post count which only rewards posting, no matter what the content is!