Music Banter - View Single Post - We've got a major problem...
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #407 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
For me, the problem is not his opinions. It's how he keeps reiterating them after members have said they won't work for technical reasons or that they don't agree.

He complains that there is no music discussion happening, and when I pointed out some new threads that he could participate in or simply just read and browse through, he shot them down saying he did not wish to participate, and did not investigate into OTHER threads himself, as if the threads I chose were the be all and end all of music discussion here. I'm seriously at a loss for what can or should be done now to say to this member "Look there are all kinds of discussions happening!" and provide some links as a starting point. Not even bothering to check out existing music and other active discussions, and then coming here to complain about the lack of conversations happening, is crazy.

There is a ridiculous amount of white knighting going on in this thread. It's really getting old now, and it's not effective. Tore and Erica, I love you both, but I think you are both seeing this issue through rose coloured glasses.
I didn't like his attitude and some of the things he said which I thought was aimed at Trollheart. The part about "...and you want a medal?" and there was another part about "patting themselves on the back" which I can't find... (maybe it was deleted?) Now I didn't see TH respond to them so I don't know if he picked on them or wasn't phased by them, either way reading through that thread when I got up to that part it was a bit anticlimactic for me to read. I found a bit insulting because those comments seemed to be aimed at TH. I can not speak for everyone so... in my point of veiw is that Trollheart works hard to keep producing his journals. It does takes time and effort to make them, and I didn't like cavalier attitude (not towards the journal) but towards Trollheart, and his efforts in making them. TH did go on to defend the journal section journal section. Which I am glad he did. Still begs the question how can sopsych demand forum change, and not appreciate the time and effort that members like Trollheart put into the forum?

It seems to blow a hole in his argument that the forum isn't friendly enough and there needs to be some drastic change... if he's not being friendly himself.

Spoiler for quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopsych View Post
I wanted to look at the numbers first, since they didn't make sense. They still don't make much sense, though the sheer age of some of those journal threads automatically give them many views (search engine robots included). I do not know how many people currently post to that section - mods could more easily research that than I could - but it ought to be less than the number in General Music. ("Ought to" because Journals are inherently clique-oriented.) I'm going to make another assertion - that Journals have virtually no impact on whether new members became regular contributors to the site. (Lots of people patting themselves on the back for something that in practice doesn't address the gist of Duga's complaint.)

So, I'm wrong about a very minor point that's hardly related to site atmosphere, and you want a medal? How many people have joined this week, been turned off by the types of discussion they've seen, and probably never will return?

Well, okay, on a positive note, some nasty posts were deleted from this thread.

@ Tore you are smart enough to go on and present your own views without mentioning him, because when you do he is making you his sock-puppet-by-proxy. Verstehen?

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 08-17-2013 at 06:47 PM.