Music Banter - View Single Post - Human Behaviour
Thread: Human Behaviour
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #110 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Most traffic lights turning green have this:

First person: (doesn't care about going fast. He's gonna make it anyway.)
Second person: (Doesn't care about going too fast. Was on the phone and texting, but fortunately, the guy ahead of him took off and it caught his eye. But he's the second guy, so he will make it. No need to rush)
Third person: (Slightly annoyed at the response time of the first two, but he'll make it, so his entire concern is based on his own interest.)
Fourth person: (This one is paying attention, but becomes victim of the lag cycle.. where forward movement is starting to be exponentially worse)
Fifth person: (This guy tailgates the fourth guy. He wants to make the light, but something goes wrong, invariably)
Everyone else:
They all hate the first 5 people. And they're progressively more likely to hit the light. When they get under it, they completely forget other humans exist. Only they exist. They have gotten under the light before it turned red and ruined their lives.
The last person in this convoy is the guy that does not want to chance it, so he stops on the yellow. At a glance, you would think that this guy would also be the perfect person to be first at the light. This is not so. He will ruin it somehow, since he is now first. And thus, the cycle will continue.
^ I thought of this very neat analysis the other day, Freebase!

I was tailgating a truck to get through on green, up so close that the truck obscured my view of the actual traffic lights, when this justification suddenly ran through my head :- " All traffic lights shall be assumed to be green until proven otherwise."

If that´s not actually in the Highway Code, it should be.