Music Banter - View Single Post - Mystery, esoteric, horror movies. What are the ones you'd recommend?
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Surell
Master, We Perish

Paranorman was rad, it kinda looks like a Radiohead video towards the end.

David Lynch if you're looking for esotericism, or at least vagueness and confusion. Blue Velvet can be pretty gutwrenching if weird freudian rape-like sex freaks you out, and Mulholland Drive is perhaps intentionally ambiguous/vague. Still haven't seen Eraserhead, though.

I thought Black Swan made for a really great thriller too, with some really striking imagery. But it makes me remember a time when movies were just a man with a hat being chased by a man without hair.

Aside from those, there's also Cronenberg, who's kind of a mind**** kind of, in a more sci fi way. Naked Lunch has a kind of noir going for it as well as drug hazed, hyper conscious, and pretty well impenetrable unless you're some kind of Borroughs-scholar or heroin fiend, which may be interchangable. Maybe i just don't get it :(

And yeah! the conjuring is pretty nuts too, very chilling. House of the Devil also plays on tension really well, so does VHS, which is pretty ridiculous at points but really neat.

PS: I've heard good things about that Hanging Rock picture, it lookss pretty rad
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote