Music Banter - View Single Post - Human Behaviour
Thread: Human Behaviour
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #117 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhanastasio View Post
At work, we have to scan our key cards to get into three doors before we are on the floor. Courtesy dictates, if in the hallway and you turn around to make eye contact with a person behind you, you must stop and hold the door, lest you be seen as a total dick.

Also, if someone doesn't have their key card, you have to grill them about which campaign/team they are on to ascertain they are not a disgruntled mass shooter.

I do figure, though, if that situation ever arises, they'd probably shoot me, then swipe my key card
I like your example of etiquette for modern times !

Here it´s normal practise to shake hands almost every time you see or leave a colleague, but when there was that big scare about swine flu a few years back, people started to become very aware of who they were touching and how often they were washing their hands.
I was working at a hospital at the time and one morning, I reached out as usual to shake a doctor´s hand when she grabbed me by the middle of the forearm. I soon worked out that this was the new etiquette within the hospital; a kind of Roman-Centurian mutual forearm clasp.

Since then I´ve never been sure with doctors. If I don´t shake their hand am I being unfriendly - or considerate ?