Music Banter - View Single Post - Is classical music still relevant today?
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Actually yes those genres you listed will be listened to by this new generation when they get up in their older age because it has more nostalgia value.
Well I think when you get older, like really old, nostalgia doesn't come into it so much as relaxation and quiet. And when you put prog, metal, hip hop or any other genre up against classical, I really think that's the one most people will turn to in their old age. Don't get me wrong: not everyone will. There's always gonna be the "hip" grandad or "happenin'" grandmaw who'll listen to those genres, but in general, older people fall back on classical because it's mostly so much easier to listen to. There are no lyrics you have to remember and it's mostly quiet, though not all of course. And it will just appeal more.

Of course, I love it now, and have since my twenties or earlier, but when they shut me away in the nursing home and bolt the door I'm pretty sure it'll be classical I'll be listening to.
Quote:

If you put the stats up for how many people consume classical music live vs. any other genres you will still see a large discrepancy.
Yeah I wonder though. An awful lot of people still go to classical recitals, concerts, specials, proms...