Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic Albums I have never heard
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #161 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Thanks guys.
Batty, when I got into metal I knew what I liked --- Maiden, Motorhead and Mozart (sorry, Red Dwarf joke again) --- Saxon, Leppard, Whitesnake, Purple, Zep (to some degree), Diamond Head, and I did try some what would have been called thrash at the time, like Tank, Anthrax, Anvil. I did like it okay but I think something that turned me off even trying Slayer was that they had ---whether deserved or not --- this rep for being the loudest, noisiest (different thing), dirtiest and fastest band around. Now I like fast but not so fast that it all blends together into one indistinguishable mess of noise. I had them pegged to be honest with the likes of Venom et al.

I prefer my metal to be at least somewhat melodic and Slayer just never appealed to me on that level. Plus I assumed --- probably wrongly --- they were Black Metal, and I hated that. So all that taken into account and remembering I wasn't the type of metalhead who strayed too far from what I knew I liked, it's really not that surprising that I never listened to them before, other than a brief snippet of "Raining blood" on South Park, which did nothing to make me want to hear them more. There are piles of bands I never touched --- Sepultura, Death, Cradle of Filth, Children of Bodom --- and others I tried --- Haggard, Blind Guardian --- but whose death vocals immediately turned me off. Sad really because Haggard's music was really great but I can not get past d/v.

So as a metal fan I knew what I liked, knew what I hated, and knew what I was likely to hate. After hearing RiB my opinion has been changed very slightly, but in general no, Slayer are not a band (at least, based on this album) that I would listen to for pleasure.

Sorry!