Music Banter - View Single Post - Shoegaze
Thread: Shoegaze
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #350 (permalink)
Thinkofthechildren
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoioideae View Post
I can say, that shoegaze (being the genre of some of my favorite bands) is effectively dead, and people have been beating this dead horse for years. The whole scene is nothing but a bunch of elitist 20 somethings trying to sound like Slowdive. I do like some newer shoegaze bands like Ringo Deathstarr, and APTBS, but most of the bands coming out today that label themselves as shoegaze sound pretty dead, and uninspired. It's a shame really, with bands like Spacemen 3, My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, The Telescopes, Pale Saints, Brian Jonestown Massacre (early), Swirlies, Flying Saucer Attack, and countless others, none of which sound like each other. I suppose this is due to the fact that the genre was still relatively new, and the sound it was associated with wasn't dialed in just yet.

I have learned something from shoegaze, and dubstep (believe it or not). They are genres that were already firmly established long ago, with the ground rules set, and the blueprints drawn up. I always wondered why I disliked most dubstep and shoegaze, now I know. It just feels so pointless to try and sound like something that's been done to death, it feels so boring.
How could of you disliked shoegaze? How could anyone with half a brain or a foot into music even dislike shoegaze?

I will agree with you about newer bands sounding really uninspired, but the genre is really commendable for being around for 20-25 years. Wheres grunge? Wheres britpop? Wheres synthpop? Ill tell you where, DEEEEEAD.
Thinkofthechildren is offline   Reply With Quote