Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic Albums I have never heard
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #163 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
The reason that you dealt with this album ok compared to the Venom material, is that Reign in Blood has better songs which flow superbly, they're also far superior musicians than Venom ever were and the production is light years from Venom as well. You've listened to one of the band's most famous albums, but to really appreciate the quality of Reign in Blood you have to take it in the context of its time which is 1986 and you really need to be familiar with what was happening in metal at that time as well, only then can you really grasp this album and what it offered.
Well, I would and I wouldn't agree with that. I just found it a too-fast, blurry mess after the first track, which I was mightily impressed with. It's just not my sort of thing. As I said, there are three important elements in metal --- or any music --- to me, and they are melody, melody and ... oh what's the last one? Oh yeah. Melody. Without that I don't care how avant-garde, experimental, fast or brootal you are, you're not gettin' near these ears.

Never gonna be a Slayer fan, Julian. Have to accept that and move on.

In fairness though, the winos on O'Connell Bridge are better musicans than Venom ever were. My three cats are better muscians than Venom ever were. Hell, I'm a better musician and I can barely play! Venom were just a really bad joke.