Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm Here Today, Expect It To Stay On - Ki's Journal of Music
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 02:57 AM   #56 (permalink)
Key

Time to discuss the first page of my top artists on last.fm, and what better way to do that then to talk about each of them and why I like them so much. So let's get right into it.

Taking the #1 spot on my last.fm charts isn't too much of a surprise, the lovely, the beautiful, Elliott Smith. There are not enough words on the earth to describe why I love him so much, his music just hits me to a point that I feel the pain he felt when he was a part of this earth. It's probably fairly obvious as to why he takes the #1 spot on my charts, if it's not obvious, well i'll tell you. As with many artists that I have listened to, he is one of those that I heard a lot about but had no knowledge of his music nor did I even know what he wrote about, but people seemed to find his lyrics to hit really close to him, and holy cow were they right. This man basically wrote songs that can relate to anybody who has dealt with some sort of angst, love, or pain in their life, that's how it hit me anyway, because when I started to listen to him, I was going through a lot in my life, and his music just spoke to me on a level that no other artist could match. Songs like Waltz #2, A Fond Farewell, Needle In The Hay, and many others are prime examples of how incredible a songwriter he was, even if he himself didn't believe it.

I went through a usual phase of trying to find every album, single, b-side, etc. If it had Elliott Smith in the name, you can guarantee it was part of my collection, and it still is. Yes, even this album:

There's just something seriously charming about an orchestra doing a whole album for an artist that you really love. And so at this point I was already really into Elliott Smith and was curious to hear what an orchestrated version of his songs would sound like. Fortunately, they hit me just as hard as the originals did. They were so phenomenally done and you can tell the group have a passion for make very well managed orchestra covers. Definitely an album to check out if you're interested.

I can pretty much guarantee that all the plays that are recorded on my last.fm for Elliott Smith all came from those weeks I spent listening to JUST him, and nothing else. I used to just spend hours and hours on the computer just browsing while having his music in the background, I even remember sort of freaking out when last.fm decided not to scrobble a couple hours of listening I had done because I knew it wouldn't record it onto last.fm showing how much I listened to him that day, but it became sort of a regular thing to wake up in the morning, get on my computer, and just listen to him all day. Before I knew it, I was singing his music in my head, making special space on my ipod just for his music, and hell...I even got "A Fond Farewell" tattoo'd on my arm just to let people know that he holds a special place in my heart, and always will.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote