Music Banter - View Single Post - 2 British girls arrested for drug smuggling in Peru
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #65 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I don't get why you guys don't seem to think this is a big deal. Seriously, what would you have happen? It's not like they tried to smuggle a small amount of coke in: it was eleven kilos! That's like filling my biggest, fattest cat up with coke and then cloning him twice and filling those two up also. That is a LOT of coke! This is no "oh we didn't know" situation: these girls clearly knew they were taking a risk but decided the money was worth it. How US can say they may not have known Peruvian law is beyond me: it's well known that countries outside of Europe have harsher laws for drug smuggling to try and reduce it. Anyway, if they were going to do this do you not think they would have checked out the penalties if they were caught? If they didn't they were either monumentally stupid or believed there was no chance they would get caught OR if they did, they could lie their way out of it.

Nobody likes being used. People have been used here: used to try to protest the innocence of two stupid women who do not deserve it, and people are angry at them. I can't understand your tolerance for this sort of thing. Why should it NOT be a big deal? What sort of message does it send to future would-be smugglers if these people are not clamped down upon hard?

And yes, I know the barons get off because they can pay, but hey that's just how the world works. Same as when the scandal in Abu Gharib broke: who went down? A few soldiers and some bog-level officers. No top brass, even though it was clear they knew and had possibly condoned this behaviour. If this was an ideal world ALL of the guilty would be punished but it's not and sometimes it's the foot soldiers who pay. The fact that they are willing to BE footsoldiers makes them just as guilty and just as liable to prosecution as the bosses.