Music Banter - View Single Post - 2 British girls arrested for drug smuggling in Peru
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #72 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
So it can be clarified that you don't really care about the crime, but do think 25 years is a suitable prison sentence because they told lies in a smug way.
They should get the suitable punishment for the crime, if the law says 25 years then that's what they should get, that is what I'm saying, they should not be let off because they are young women or thick as shit or because they play the sympathy card.

I'm lolling at them because they've lied and their story is so embarrassingly shit.

If they'd have nicked a packet of crisps from a supermarket over there I wouldn't be saying they should get 25 years if they lied about it even if the law said they should only get a fine.

Quote:
I can remember a case in either an Asian or African state about 15 years ago, where a guy had been caught drug smuggling, he was awaiting execution for his crime. He was crying as he told his story to the reporters, of how he wasn't aware that there was a death penalty if he was caught. He wasn't the brightest of people and it was obvious he'd had no real education and had been lured with easy money. I watched that interview and I remember it as I had just done my Masters degree, and also I had no idea that the death penalty applied in that country and neither did any of the people I mentioned it to either. I see no reason why these two girls should be aware of the 25 year prison sentence in Peru either.
They don't have to be aware of it being 25 years, the crux to it is they will have known it carried a heavy punishment and that it was illegal (same as that guy in your story).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
....and how do you propose that's done. Having the Americans or the UN invade?
It's irrelevant to the point I'm making. Just cos the barons get off we're supposed to think these should get off as well? You're saying people should have a free shot at smuggling drugs?
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote