Music Banter - View Single Post - Linda Ronstadt discloses she has Parkinson's, can't sing anymore
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea
AllTheWhileYouChargeAFee

Very touching column by a writer in one of the Seattle papers:

Linda Ronstadt Has Parkinson's Disease and Can No Longer Sing
Quote:
I got into my seat in the balcony and my friend sat next to me, and as the concert began I was caught up in swirling emotions. One song after another registered in my mind, but almost as if I were floating on some cloud, the ethereal nature of each expressive note lifting me on angel wings. And then, just as Linda finished singing a heart wrenching version of "Blue Bayou," as her last syllable echoed in the rafters, something welled inside me, and in the second or two of silence that seemed incongruous at that moment in a hall filled with people, I screamed out, "Linda, I love you!"

I was mortified even as the words left my lips, wishing to grab them and suck them back inside me, but they were shot across time and space and I felt like everyone heard them and was looking at me. Linda, far away on the stage, smiled and didn't miss a beat. She stared out into the abyss, the darkness of the hall and its thousand faces, and said, "I love you too!"