Music Banter - View Single Post - 2 British girls arrested for drug smuggling in Peru
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #84 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Can't be arsed to get into a discussion about the legality of drugs, the market and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I wasn't comparing it to community service here, which is a joke I agree but the community service there would be anything but a holiday, we're not talking about sticking them on Copacabana beach for 5 years.

Five years living abroad for some would be a dream but how much of a dream would five years be when you work an 8 hour day 5 days a week for no or little pay, with no family or friends around. Also Your days off wandering around a picturesque shanty town or a back of the beyond village in an alien environment, does this sound great to you? This is a working punishment and hardly the stuff of dreams and it makes far more sense than just chucking people into jail to rot.
Doesn't intimidate me, no. My mom's family come from Belize (not too far from Peru), they live in a shanty town, I have actually considered living there myself.

Spending years in prison would intimidate me far more. Even a British prison would make me sh1t myself.

If I were to consider smuggling drugs and I knew my punishment would be community service abroad then I'd be far less worried about being caught and more likely to go for it.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote