Music Banter - View Single Post - 2 British girls arrested for drug smuggling in Peru
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #88 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
Mali is further away and the two countries are closer in terms of culture than the UK is to Mali.
I purposefully put that example in, as I knew you'd answer like so. It wouldn't overly phase you out because you are from or have a knowledge of the culture of Belize and therefore could adapt more easily to a Peruvian culture (language aside unless you have Spanish knowledge) For the girls concerned though, Peruvian culture is about as far from the UK as you can get.

Quote:
Yep I accept this to be fair but you asked me the question so I answered it. And plenty of students volunteer to work in these shitholes. Never seen any who'd volunteer to serve a prison sentence.
Yes they volunteer for a set period of time and they are free to leave it any time they want, that's why they volunteer to do it. Volunteering for something with freedom of liberties, is non-comparable with stringent coercion for a set time period.

Quote:
No because it's not on a hill.
That picture looks on a hill to me and also what has a shanty town on a hill got to do with it anyway, unless you're into panoramic views.

Quote:
I would much rather do community service abroad than spend time in a British prison.
That's because you're basing this on an easy British community service system, which would not be comparable to a lot of countries. Just take the example of the old Soviet work camps, which could be deemed as community service in hindsight. I'm just suggesting something similar, but with more dignity for the inmates and a greater benefit to the local community. And it would also tackle the atrocious overcrowding that exist in these places that pass for prisons.

Quote:
No way of proving this so could only answer from my own perspective. But yes I think if these mules knew beforehand they'd only be getting 5 years community service as opposed to 20 in prison if they get caught you'd see an increase in people attempting to smuggle illegal drugs.
Unsubstantiated, simply because the 15 to 25 years in most Latin American countries has been in force for a long time now and there has been no real increase or decrease in the amount of trafficking that goes on. Empirical evidence would suggest that lengthy prison terms are really no real deterrent at all.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote