Music Banter - View Single Post - How do you listen to music?
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
When I listen to music, I try to remove as much as I can that might compete for my attention. Usually, I turn my phone off, sign out of Skype, and even close my eyes to remove visual distractions. Even with all of that, I do still zone out sometimes, especially during longer albums, or newer albums that I'm not familiar with. Personally, I just don't like putting music on in the background. I'd rather listen closely, and try to take the music apart. I like to ask myself questions while listening: What is the general mood/purpose of the piece? What instruments are present, and how does each contribute to the music overall?
I like to do that too when I throw on a CD or record. I usually just lie back, forget about everything and just take it all in (although switching off your phone seems a bit too excessive but each to their own). However I try not to fall into the trap of over analyzing the technical aspects of music itself. Things like the mood of the music you don't have to try too hard to work out and you can latch onto melodies and rhythms without much effort. It also depends on the type of music you're listening to. If you're listening to classical or jazz then yes you would tend to pay close attention to what the individual instruments are doing and taking the music apart etc as well as enjoying the moods and melodies. If you're doing the same to a Motorhead album then you are completely missing the point of it. I prefer not to over-analyze music and just let my enjoyment of it come naturally.