Music Banter - View Single Post - Is classical music still relevant today?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #75 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
I don't think it really cheapens it either. Most of the stuff is public domain now anyways so people can do whatever with it. I'm more on the side that it might pique someone's interest and they will look it up.

I think there is stuff that should not be used for sampling or should just ty to be avoided. For example, sacred hymns, Bach's chorales, Gregorian chants (take that Enigma lol), and other liturgical music. I'm not religious at all but I still think that stuff should be respected for what it is, since much of it is still used and sung in church and in daily prayer to this day.
Thats like saying "Beethoven, you can't use that sequence of notes, they use them in Church!"

All music is plagerised in some form or another. As far as Classical being relevant, it is. It may not be noticeable to the average Joe, but most music you hear today is a decendant of the classics in some form or another. Kind of like how Led Zeppelin is a decendant of the earlier forms of blues. Pulling in bits and pieces from various resources to create what the artist sees.

Plagiarism on a quantitative level.