Music Banter - View Single Post - Turntables
Thread: Turntables
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

I'd say that for Vinyl in your situation, avoid technics - the 1210 has never been a particularly compelling alternative to a good belt drive turntable in the home, and with their discontinuation by Panasonic (Matsushita, Panasonic's parent company, owns and runs Technics), prices for a 1210 of any vintage, have absolutely skyrocketed.

The two most common turntables I see recommended, are the Rega Planar 3, or the Project RPM1.3 Genie. I own the Genie myself and honestly I'd suspect it's difficult if not impossible to do better for the price. It's an MDF, formed plinth, which is self damping and has only 3 feet to prevent rocking, and it comes in 2 variants - the one with the OM3E cartridge, which sets the pricing here in the UK, and a variant with the much superior Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, a £40 upgrade over the OM3e with no change in price.

It's above your budget, but consider saving for one. It can and will beat seven shades of **** out of the pioneer you linked (Which is a common but honestly flawed budget model - functional but not hi-fi).

Alternatively, Rega Planar 3's have a great used market - try and find a bargain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!

Last edited by GuitarBizarre; 08-29-2013 at 02:39 PM.
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote