Music Banter - View Single Post - *** The Themed Weekly Member Mixtape Thread Is Back ***
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #172 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Here are my thoughts, but first Rez, did something happen to the tags? There are none on any of the songs (album/artist) and I know they were at least present on mine!

Anyhoo, on we go....

Quote:
1. Mondo Bungle: NoMeansNo - Dead Bob
Sorry, hated this. Just noise and some guy shouting over discordant guitar. Man I hate punk! And six minutes is about ... six minutes too long. Pass.

Quote:
2. rostasi: The Soil and The Sun - There Is No Death
Lovely bit of acoustic folk, is it? Reminds me of S&G with a real breathy vocal and what sounds like harp? Really nice.
Quote:
3. Trollheart: Nick Cave - O'Malley's Bar
Mine so skipping
Quote:
4. Deviouz: Kno - La Petite Mort (Come Die With Me)
I'm surprised to say this is pretty nice. Slow hip-hop? Like the sort of choir in the background. Still never going to be a h/h fan but this is certainly listenable. The bird sounds are pretty cool.
Quote:
5. Arya Stark: Misfits - Die, Die My Darling
Meh. More punk? Bored.
Quote:
6. Rezdaddy Longlegs: Steel Panther - Death To All But Metal
Yee-haaahhH! You sure The Batlord didn't hijack your IP Rez? This is going into Metal Month for sure! Death to all but metal! Gotta love it!!!
Quote:
7. Frownland: Diamond Terrifier - Kill The Self That Wants To Kill Yourself
OK this is just weird! Isn't that some famous classical piece or something, with a lot of squealing and electronic effects over it? No can't say I think this is clever and I don't like it, sorry. Sort of "Close Encounters" on the end via Sax? Weirder and weirder...
Quote:
8. bob.: Depeche Mode - Flies On The Windscreen
Was never a fan of Depeche Mode (this is cut very low isn't it?) and this reminds me why. Getting tired of saying sorry, but, sorry!
Quote:
9. gunnels: Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
Finally one I know I'll like. I'm a fan of the Porcs and Steven Wilson. This doesn't disappoint: a great slab of proto-prog with just about everything you could want as a confirmed Prog Head. Superb.
Quote:
10. Zer0: The Woods... - Mourning The Death Of Aase
Now this is more like it! Lovely laidback but powerful tune with that vocalise that reminds me of "The great gig in the sky". Quite dramatic and epic, and in contrast to Dead Bob, this is not long enough. Nice one man!
Quote:
11. Plankton: Sevendust - Angels Son
Like this one too: kind of reminds me of Asia in ways. Nice jangly guitar and a singer who sounds a little like Joe Cocker..
Quote:
12. misspoptart: The Cinematic Orchestra - To Build a Home
Somehow this sounds familiar. I really love it. Nice one Miss P!

So it seems for a mix that started off badly for me, it got much better halfway and just didn't drop in quality after Gunnels' contribution. Probably the best mix (for me) thus far.