Music Banter - View Single Post - Punk Wars
Thread: Punk Wars
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #113 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Although I like some Ministry from time to time, Skinny Puppy gets my vote - More interesting.

As for immediate effect, Mid-Late 80's Ministry had the edge (and I even like several of the off shoots as well), though. I accidentally knew where Ministry got the Crowley quote for the title of their great Psalm 69 album after getting my first book of his original writings, and you could imagine that explosion in the brain after that. That was pretty much the effect I got after finding out where David Tibet got the name Current 93 from right around the same time. The words "Stumbled Upon" just does not do that discovery justice.

I liked Rev Co (especially as David F. Friedman, Exploitation Producer of the 60's and 70's wound up in the video to "Do You Think I'm Sexy" as the bartender!) and loved Lard.

As for Skinny Puppy, there's a little more to get into and find out. Being a kid in small dot, I never knew what Vivisection was until I found out about what they were talking about, and that was the opening of a mind right there and then. With bob's Process/Skinny Puppy mention in mind, I think that there was another explosion in my mind when this reader of Apocalypse Culture (2'nd edition...wish I caught onto the first when a friend got the Amok catalog!) knew that my mind exploded once again when Skinny Puppy's Process album was released. I don't think that I even made connections when I was occasionally listening to Psychic TV (I did not have the first album until the Mid 90's CD release).

I think that as for a Puppy-related project, the Tear Garden may have had the most effect on me. I was driving my car home for about 30 Miles and Brave New Waves was playing "You and Me and Rainbows" - in the middle of the night - about 1AM - alone. An experience!
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote