Music Banter - View Single Post - Got Feminism?
Thread: Got Feminism?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #164 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Well, giving up your seat to a woman but not to a man is sexist. It's harks back to a time when women were considered the weaker sex. Standing up when a woman comes into the room? That's just pointless. And paying for the whole date is bull****. The woman presumably has a job and her own money. I'm not an ATM and she's not a prostitute. Probably.
Yeah well as Lord Larehip says, it's just how I was brought up. In this society, whether you like it or not, giving up your seat to a woman will be generally perceived as okay, even laudable, whereas you try giving your seat to a guy unless he's on crutches and you're either likely to get a filthy look, or he'll try to give you his phone number! It's just how men are; we don't like to be seen to be weak, and that's seen as a sign of weakness. Mind you, if a guy IS on crutches, holding a baby or is really old and frail I'd certainly offer up my seat.

There's no real explanation for why we do this chivalry thing, other than that's how we were raised, and yes that was according to our parents' now-outdated moral values, but can you say it's a bad thing? Generally, you give your seat up to a woman and you'll get a smile, make someone feel they're a little special, and/or be called a gentleman. I see that as win/win.

Paying for a date, same thing. If you take a girl out and you don't pay for her you're just a cheapskate in my book, and don't deserve any. I'm not an ATM either, but I don't expect any woman to pay if I take her out. It's just politeness in my book. Her company is all the payment I need. Batlord, please stop throwing up!

Hey look: some people were brought up that way, some weren't. I ain't gonna apologise for it, and I certainly am not going to accept that it's sexist, no matter who sees it as such. Funny thing: I bet the girl I would be with would choose not to see it as a problem. Happens every time, which isn't very often, these days...

Oh, and standing up, though not practiced any more, was simply a sign of respect and good breeding. Nothing wrong with that. Mind you, if you tried to do it now you'd be laughed at. Sadly.