Music Banter - View Single Post - Sentimental mercenaries: the Marillion Story
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You're always welcome in my threads, Lee. I know you're a big Marillion fan too, so great to have you along!

TBH I don't rate Marillion albums as I think I would find it hard just to give them a simple X out of 10: they're more complex than that, and I would prefer just to drone on and on about them. Also, if someone were to see I'd given, say, "Radiation" a five, they might decide the album was not worth reading about/listening to, which would certainly be wrong. I think to get the best appreciation of these albums you need to dig deep, which is what I'm trying to do here.

But if you want a simple "best of" thing, well, if you twisted my arm I'd say

Ouch!

and then tell you that this would be my order:

1. Script for a jester's tear
2. Brave
3. Misplaced childhood
4. Fugazi
5. Clutching at straws
6. Marbles
7. Happiness is the road
8. Season's end
9. Afraid of sunlight
10. This strange engine

But that's just thrown together on the spur. Certainly the top 3 would never change but the rest could be quite fluid. There's only one Marillion album I don't like, and that's "Somewhere else"; the rest are all favourites of mine and it's really hard to rate them.

Also, what makes you think anyone else is reading this?
I always thought of This Strange Engine as being a good album, but then again I haven't heard it or any of the Steve Hogarth albums in a number of years. Good to see that Fugazi is in your top 4.

Even though I know Misplaced Childhood is an accomplished album, it was another album that never ever got me all excited.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote