Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #5962 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Deadlight

A game I care so little about I'm not even going to bother finding the box art picture. For the uninitiated the game is a 2.5D sidescroller/puzzle platformer during a zombie apocalypse. The only thing it has going for it is that it looks pretty and it accurately depicts the Seattle skyline. That's not fair actually, the first 1/3rd of the game is great, but as soon as the stupid sewer level/obstacle course starts the game just devolves into frustration and tedium. None of the puzzles are particular hard but you'll die a lot because of the clunky controls and because the game can't decide if it's a tense survival-horror or action. Usually towards the end of each act there's a big dramatic escape but because you never quite know if you have to just run or fight your way out of it you can usually never get through on the first try, which really diminishes the tension. The game is also really poorly written, even by video game standards (as low as they are), for instance there's this big spanning view of the ruined city and the character narrates how mankind went to war against the zombies, but it didn't end well. No shit! I'm not blind, I can quite clearly see the ruined city, so there's no real need for you to tell me things that the game is showing me. There's enough here to recommend playing the first 1/3 of the game if it shows up on sale for under $5, but I really can't justify telling someone to go out and pay full price for a 3 hour game where 2 hours are just frustrating and stupid.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote