Music Banter - View Single Post - Punk Wars
Thread: Punk Wars
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #118 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
I also agree with Engine. I think by todays standards a lot of the initial punk bands like The Stranglers, Siouxie & the Banshees, the Jam ect, are considered to be more alternative rock acts. The Stranglers defiantly didn't have the same aggression as the Pistols, UK Subs, ect.

To be honest I was just going to sit this one out, but Engine hit the nail on the head, so...

The Damned 3
Stranglers 0
To me, both had a lot of influence from the Garage Punk era and there's a serious compare and contrast - The Stranglers had a lot of ideas but by the Early 80's sometimes got very caught up in trying to be something more, scoring with a few great songs that gave their direction a support but came up with quite a few disappointing efforts that sapped the energy out of them and then turned out to be a very bland band by the Late 80's with obvious career saving covers just to keep a sagging career alive. I have not heard a lot of post-90 stuff, but maybe that's for the better. Still there's quite a few classic songs and a couple of essential albums plus one WTF moment that all fans have to hear once.

The Damned, on the other hand, just went with their instincts and wound up a band that sounded sharp at their best and at least trying to crank up some enjoyment at their least - they worked best with a wild energy. The only eras I seem to have some criticism for was the Anything era where it went into 80's over-production and the Early-Mid 90's when things were looking very uncertain, but that's very minimal when weighing things out between those bleak era and everything else (I try to avoid the Captain's brief solo moment in the UK Top 50 sun and file it under "It was The 80's and he had a lucky break that did not last long" although there were a couple of tasty but not essential songs in that set). Even a number of their offshoot projects were fun, and I liked the Naz Nomad album as well as The Phantom Chords (Dave's MCA era solo project).

True, this is bring up some closed battles, but I felt like remarking on them...anyways, The Damned won, and (as the Captain once said on Strawberries) life goes on.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote