Music Banter - View Single Post - Religious Freedom v. Everyone Else's
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Larehip
Account Disabled

The problem is, while the RW anti-vaxxers are usually religious (though not always), there are a sizable number of LW anti-vaxxers whose views have little to no basis in religion or religious freedom. One guy, Chris Mooney, even goes so far as to say that ant-vax is predominantly a left wing phenomenon. He has little to support him but he does score a few points. Some liberal Hollywood celebs have gone public as being anti-vax and the Whole Foods crowd is overwhelmingly anti-vax. I also found this page on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Anti-...353529?sk=info

But all the available research shows that anti-vaxxers occupy the RW more than the left but not by anything resembling a vast majority. It's almost 50-50, in fact.

Public Support For Vaccination Remains Strong

Plus politicians of both red and blue persuasion have come out anti-vax and even allowed their states to opt out of mandatory vax in the schools. I see this as disastrous.

I'm worried most by missionaries who want to help (read as "brainwash into accepting Christianity") people in poor countries. They are most at risk to bring something back if they are not vaccinated. But we also have the Peace Corps types who want to go to these countries and build schools and hospitals and what not--all well and good but get your ass vaccinated first or don't come back.

I think that might be a good start. But when I read all these blogs talking about the numbers of people who have died or are permanently bed-ridden (or blind or deaf or impotent or diabetic) after getting vaccines, I realize what an uphill climb this is that we have these jackasses in our society who actually believe this stuff. It's the old "Every time I get a flu shot, I end up getting the flu" BS. That may be, but you can't get the flu from a flu shot. There's no correlation. But try telling them that.
Lord Larehip is offline   Reply With Quote